Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Homemade Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Filling

Hi honeys
It feels so odd not to be posting a Blogtember entry for the first time this month. It's been such fun and I'm looking forward to taking part in the rest of the month, but I have no idea how to make a Vlog, maybe someday :)

So, having gotten used to posting each day, I thought I'd post one of our kitchen favourites :) Tuna mayonnaise is something I used to buy pre-made at the supermarket with my regular shop.  It's a great favourite with both hubby & I, equally at home as a sandwich filling, or as a toast topper, or even, as I did last night, used as a side dish with a baked potato :)

Tuna Mayonnaise Only 3 Ingredients

Tuna Mayo is so easy to make & far cheaper than buying pre-made too.  I started making ours fresh some time ago, with any leftovers popped into a lidded container in the fridge where it will keep for 3 - 4 days easily, it's super yummy & makes a great quick snack.  Far healthier too to have a healthy sandwich as a snack, with the filling ready to grab from the fridge, than to munch on a chocolate bar.
 This is one of those recipes that gets better each time you make it, because each time you make it you'll alter it a little more to your taste. So what you end up with is your own favourite version, made as you like it best. Adding more, or less mayonnaise or onion.  Or adding other ingredients, such as sweetcorn (yum) or mixed peppers?

So honeys, here is my own favourite tuna mayo recipe. Do let me know how you make yours?

Tuna Mayonnaise Sandwich Filling

Ingredients:

2 small cans of tuna (drained)
1 small onion
Mayonnaise

Directions: 

1. Open your cans of tuna & drain. Place into a bowl,  large enough to mix your ingredients in (I've made that mistake before.... start mixing, tuna over worktop, over me.... lol :)

2. Carefully peel & chop your onion. It's entirely a matter of personal choice which onion you use honeys. I used red onion this time because that's what I had on hand, but I've used brown onions & they work great too. Also, as you can see below, I've chopped my onion quite roughly because hubby & I both prefer a more "crunchy" onion texture, but feel free to chop very finely if you prefer.

canned tuna & chopped red onion

3. Add your chopped onion to the bowl with your canned tuna and gently mix until combined.

4. Add mayonnaise to taste, I usually add 3 - 4 tablespoons but just add a little at a time until you find a consistency you like. I said it was easy to make :)

Tuna mayonnaise sandwich filling

There are lots of variants of this recipe of course, as I said earlier. The only constants in this recipe are the tuna & the mayonnaise :) Variants include adding sweet corn, canned is fine & usually handy as most people will have a can in the pantry.  I've also heard of people adding peppers too, which I've never tried yet but it does sound yummy.

So, what to do with your bowl of delicious tuna mayonnaise now that you've made it?  Here are some suggestions :)

1. Sandwich filling, try adding some slices of tomato, cucumber or some lovely iceberg lettuce to your sandwich for a dream of a sandwich. Healthy, and a great way to contribute to your "5 a day" too!

2. As a really yummy topping for toast. Seriously, yum!

3. As a side with a baked potato, as seen here:


This was hubby's dinner last night :)  I used an ice cream scoop to serve the tuna mayo (as I do when I make fluffy mashed potato too) I used my mandolin to slice some tomato & cucumber, very carefully! I had quite a bad cut when I first used it & have very been wary since.  The baked potato was made using hubbys favourite method. It's a sliced or "hasselback" potato and you can see how to make it here

4. Use as part of a lovely healthy packed lunch.  Here I've added sliced peeled cucumber & a large beef steak tomato. Add a pre-baked potato or a couple of lovely wraps and you have a wonderful & healthy lunch.

Bonus:

In addition, and this is wonderful :) By adding cooked pasta, you can turn this yummy sandwich filler into the most delicious lunch :)


See a step by step here :)

So, there we have it dear ones. Definitely worth having a tub in the fridge for those "feel like a snack" moments :) How do you make your tuna mayo? I hope you're having a fabulous week, till next time, heaps of hugs as always xx


No comments:

Post a Comment