Thursday 4 August 2016

Rosie's Favourite Quotes

Hi Honeys
I can't seem to find my smile today, I'm feeling very drained and not at all myself, so in case you might want to smile too, I thought today I'd post some of my favourite quotes :)


I've always found comfort in words dear ones.  The written word has been as important to me as the air I breathe for as long as I can remember.  I remember clearly, at the age of nine, my dear Gramma signing a card at our local library to allow me to have my very own library card.  She well understood the value of knowledge, knowledge was power she told me. Knowledge would keep me safe, it would shine a light on the whole world if I wanted it to.  

I would cycle to the library every Saturday morning with my best friend Joan, where we would both exchange our library books for lovely new (to us) volumes.  I was blessed to be born when I was honeys.

So many libraries have closed their doors for the final time now and that breaks my heart.  Yes, information is all around us online but there's something very special about holding a book. Something priceless about the smell and feel of the pages, of snuggling on a sofa with your furbaby and a fabulous tome on a day when you don't even open the curtains because the world will get in.

I am an excellent hermit, as a co-worker once told me "I'm a hoose moose" a homebody, someone who only grudgingly goes out into the world. I'm only every truly happy in our tiny home with the world on the other side of a heavy front door and surrounded by our (huge) book collection.

Shall we seek smiles then honeys?

Garden Smiles
 


Courage does not always roar, sometimes
courage is a small voice at the end of the
day saying I'll try again tomorrow.

This quote, by the incredible Mary Anne Radmacher means so much to me honeys. It always will x
  
Beauty of Summer

I couldn't possibly list my favourite quotes without including the beyond compare Oscar Wilde.  I have a much loved, much read (and re-read) complete collection of his works upstairs and he's made me laugh, and cry.  If you've never read "The Happy Prince" you so should! It was written as a children's short story and literally made me sob on first reading and I've cried each time I've read it since, even after all these years.  There will never again be anyone like Oscar.  

"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"

Raindrops on a rose

"We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"
Oscar Wilde
Lady Windermere's Fan

Summer's Treasures

"We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon—instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today."  

Start each day with a grateful heart

"When all you can see is rain, look for rainbows and
when all you can see is darkness, look for the stars and see how many you can reach!"
Anonymous

Apple blossom

"From The Old Astronomer (To His Pupil)"

Though my soul may set in darkness
It will rise in perfect light
I have loved the stars too fondly
To be fearful of the night


If you get the chance to read the whole poem honeys, do, but be warned the first time (and many times since) I read it, it made me cry.  Wonderful x

Mum's beautiful rose

The Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths 
Of night and light and the half-light;
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.



Goodness! There are no words for how much I adore the writing of Yeats!  I can't think of any better way to pass an hour or two than by sitting under a tree on a warm Summer day with a volume of his poems for company. Heaven.


I think the very last quote should belong to Oscar, don't you think honeys? 

"Yes, I am a dreamer, for a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

Oscar Wilde
The Artist As Critic

Roses & Quotes to raise a smile x

There we have it honeys.  I so hope this has made you smile as much as it has me. Thank you for keeping me company in my tiny corner of the internet, it means more than I can say.  What are your favourite quotes?  What do you reach for when you want to lose yourself in a book?  Please share?

It's been a stressful day today dear ones, this has been a fun post to write and has made me feel much better. If it has made you smile even a little, it's been so worth writing :)  Till next time dear ones, keep smiling and hug more than you have to.  A hug can mean the whole world to someone, you never know who's day you'll bring sunshine to.  Huggles always xx

No comments:

Post a Comment