Thursday 3 July 2014

How To Almost Double The Space In Your TShirt Drawer!

Hi honeys :)
Today I thought I'd share something I adore. This was my very first organizational project :) You can find images all over Pinterest of neatly organized t shirt drawers, but the first time I ever saw this method of "filing" clothes was on a video by the wonderful Alejandra Costello, whose fabulous You Tube videos started me on my organizational journey.

Alejandra uses a folding board but I don't have one of those so I thought I'd share a step by step of how I manage to fold t shirts before "filing" them :)

How to file clothes and almost double the space in your t shirt drawer

I've been doing this for over 18 months now and it makes life so, so easy! Hubby even watched me one evening and decided he would have a try and now he files laundry too :)

There really isn't a downside to this! You can see at a glance exactly what's in your drawer & grab what you're looking for, you can fit so much more in the drawer than when they're laid flat, it takes literally minutes to fold a stack of t shirts and it makes putting laundry away a dream!

So here it is honeys,  my little step by step of how I fold t shirts, as well as my pyjamas, vest tops and nighties too :)

First, let's have a quick look at my hubby's t shirt drawer......

A look at my Husbands t shirt drawer -  a step by step on how to almost double the space in a drawer.

Am I alone in having a hubby who owns too many t shirts?  Is this a man thing? The small collection in his day to day drawer (shown above) includes white work t shirts which he wears under his shirt, a collection of cotton t shirts he sleeps in, and a small rotating selection of whatever are his favourites at that point in time, to wear on weekends.

He owns somewhere in the region of 90 plus t shirts (and rising) including various tour shirts bought over the past thirty years or more.  I do get the t shirt thing if I'm honest, they're comfortable and, like those tour shirts, bring back some great memories :)

OK so, we have a stack of freshly laundered t shirts and an empty drawer to fill, so lets get started and file those t shirts shall we honeys?

Step One:    

We'll need a flat folding surface.  A table top or counter top will do fine.  First then, lay your t shirt flat, face (front) down, as below....

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step one lay t shirt flat

Step Two:

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step two fold one side of t shirt over

Step Three:

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step three fold the sleeve back across towards outer edge

Step Four:

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step four fold the other half of t shirt over towards the middle

Step Five:

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step five fold the sleeve back towards outer edge as before.

Step Six:

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step six fold the bottom of the t shirt upwards.

Step Seven:

and then....
How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step seven fold the bottom of the t shirt upwards to the collar.

Step Eight:

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step eight fold neatly in half once more with collar on the inside.

and finally.....

Step Nine:

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - step nine t shirt is all ready to be filed in drawer.

Seriously, how easy is that honeys?  Even better, the more you fold, the easier, and faster, it gets to fold them.  Once folded, just "file" them in the drawer with the folded edge uppermost so that it's seen.

I really do love this system and I've moved it across to other items stored in our dressers such as my vest tops, nightgowns & pyjamas and of course my own t shirt collection :)

How to fold t shirts without a folding board - t shirts can be seen at a glance which makes finding what you want easy and fast.

So honeys, do you "file" your t shirts? If so, how do you fold them? Do you use a folding board like Alejandra & Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory" (I SO love that show) do? Or do you fold them by hand like me?

I hope you've had a great week & that you'll have a fabulous weekend honeys, till my next post, sending heaps of hugs your way xx

No comments:

Post a Comment